Friday, December 09, 2005

World Cup Draw has people screaming

Relax, even with this draw Germany cannot win the world cup and England will still only be the prettiest team in Germany. Even with four midfielders ALL playing the same position, I still have visions of David Seamen from 2002 and this just makes me smile. If England wins the World Cup, I will do the following...well let me think about this, because right now I am still laughing too hard already listening to the BBC planning their victory celebration down Piccadilly Square. But lets break this down on the few groups that are truly difficult and hopefully prevent some of our friends from jumping from the balconies on the second floor.

This morning as I showered, shaved, and wondered, what shall I do with my life today, I realized, the more competitive the group stages of the world cup is for your country, the better it is for their chances to advance. My logic, very simple is this:

When you have two or three strong teams in a group, being conservative simply will not work for you. You have to play your game and take points, preferably try to win games. Case in point, while the Italians are probably fretting over this group draw, I say bring on the challenge of Ghana, United States, and the Czech Republic. These are three teams with a legitimate claim for making the knock-out rounds. Group E and I would claim this to be the group of death because you'd better win this group or you face Brasil in the quarterfinals....Ouch, unless the Soccerroos win their Group.

And for my Dutch brethren, do not worry about your games aganist Argentina, Ivory Coast, Serbia & Montenegro. The team is strong enough to advance out of Group C but start your 'WE NEED SEEDORF" campaign because you do. At leats this year you made the World Cup and Marco van Basten is the man to make winners out of this country for the first time(excuse me, you know winning the Euro's does not Count). This is definitely not the group of Death as my friends would want me to believe. But maybe if you play well enough you can exorcise the demons of 1978, but we will not touch on that, it could be a sensitive subject.

The cup is to see who plays Brasil or Argentina in the final. Barring any major setbacks or another Ronaldo 1998-like breakdown on the eve of the finals, this team is so dam strong, it will be fun to watch. Group F with Brasil, Croatia, Japan, and Australia. Two strong, attacking teams like Croatia and Japan could make it interesting on Brasil's defense, leaving us to wonder, are Robert Carlos and Cafu actually the same person, but so old, they had to clone one to fill in their defense?

As for the other groups, seriously who cares...we all dream of adding stars to our jerseys, and the only star in this World Cup will come from one of these three groups...unless Saudi Arabia can pull off the miracle of all miracles(second only to helping us find Bin Laden).

Azzurri Dreams